Friday, June 3, 2011

Day 3: Ride Hard, Fall Softly

Another great day on the road, riding from Mineral to Charlottesville and putting about 80 miles under my tires.

I had my first fall today, at a stop sign. I saw it coming too since I stayed balanced for a long time while trying to get my foot unclipped from the pedal. When I realized my foot wouldn't come out and I lost my balance, all I could do was control the fall and brace for impact. It was one of those slow falls where I went straight down sideways with my feet on the pedals.

Soon after the fall I, discovered that there was a problem with my shoe which made it impossible to unclip. I had to take the shoe off my foot before I could remove it from the pedal.

Later, the whole TransAm group gathered and we rode together to the James Q. Miller MS Clinic in Charlottesville. We got to hear about all the work they do and meet with an incredible MS patient. Cold drinks and snacks were there for us too.

Next, a few of us went to a bike shop where I got my pedal and shoe fixed. Then we continued riding to get free food in the White Hall compliments of Shannon and her fantastic family. On the way there, I came across a cool guy named Neil who showed us the way and gave a few tips.

We're spending the night at a house with Shannon's family, and they were so nice to offer us their lawn and showers and laundry machine. So far we've been completely spoiled. I will try to remember that while we hit the hills tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment