Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 16: Surrounded By Dogs

Today was an easy day. I woke up with less enthusiasm than usual, and I chose to ride at a slow, easy pace. This also offered a chance to ride with Ike (The Mirage) and Amber on her final day of the trip. I dropped back from Ryan's group. Ryan thought that I was still there and was talking to Ethan thinking it was me.

I spent some time riding alone which put me in a sticky situation when I encountered a pack of five excited dogs. They blocked the path of some cars, causing me to stop. Then, the dogs went after me, barking for about 10 minutes. Only one dog seemed really aggressive, and a couple others were following his lead. They seemed to be calming down enough for me to take off, but then something excited them to the point that they started to bite my legs, so I took off. I had to protect my legs and avoid hitting the dogs as I rode with them keeping pace with me even over 20 mph as I left them behind with my first flesh wound of the trip.

I met the rest of the riders at the rest stop at the top of a steep climb right on the county line as well as well as our first time zone change crossing from Eastern to Central Time Zone. Dr Bridget bandaged my dog bite, and I continued riding to Rough River Dam campsite. Once we settled in, we all went to the lounge to raid the internet and the buffet. We'll need the fuel for tomorrow's 70 mile ride.

1 comment:

  1. Mom says "Did you notify the authorities? You should, since it's a bike route. Also, look out for rabies".

    ReplyDelete